03 March 2009

CI 5461 - Visual Narrative



Reflection

These images describe a lot of my daydreams at the moment. About this time of year, I get really antsy to start playing Ultimate again. It's good, because by the end of the season in September, I'm ready to take a break from Ultimate. Fortunately, between then and the spring, my desire to get back on the field steadily builds to a boil. The first three pictures I found on Google images; I just want all this snow to melt and reveal a browned field underneath, a wide expanse waiting for people to run on it. I'm actually in the next three. That's my team from last year in picture four, waiting on the line for the point to start, and five and six are some of my "highlight reel" moments.

The project forced me to create a narrative with some coherence, something that could be followed. I tried to select images with an eye towards consistency, and I didn't want images that were too busy. I actually cropped image four because, believe it or not, there's a burning building in the background, and that didn't really belong in the sequence. I had to be picky about my images, which I think is a necessary skill for students who do the project. The story only has impact if we can make some sense of it as an audience.

2 comments:

  1. I should have guessed you'd use your favorite image (you flying through the air) for this assignment. I really like the way you can see a progression as each photo builds on each other and slowly we come to see your personal connection to the story. I also like the idea that this essay exists "inside" a daydream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt-

    I liked how you personalized this time of year. Summer means so many different things to different people. I know I'm getting antsy for the snow to melt and for summer to come, but for other reasons (BASEBALL SEASON!!!). I'm sure a lot of us can't wait for the white stuff to leave us alone for a few months so we can venture outside without our coats, mittens, hats, scarves, boots, long underwear, etc.

    ReplyDelete