16 January 2010

End of Semester

We had finals on Thursday and Friday. Strangely, those two days were the last two that I'll see a lot of my kids. You see, the high school really likes to shuffle kids between semesters, so I'm expecting only a quarter or third of my kids will still be in my classes. It's sad to see them go - I've grown attached to them, and while a teacher never plays favorites, it's tough not to like some especially. I see the benefit of having a big swap like this, though; this way, I'll get to know a lot more kids in the school. I think it builds school community when more kids can have a shared experience.

I've been grading off-and-on today. I have a big pile that's slowly getting slimmer. There are many papers left, a lot of tests, and some online book reports I have to sift through before I post grades on Monday. Thankfully, it'll be a teacher work day all day long (thank you, MLK), so I'm a lot less stressed than I could be. I still have, you know, two courses to plan and print off syllabi, but I've only gotten this far by taking it one day at a time, and I will continue to do so.

In other news: I won't lose pay next year (assuming I keep my job). The district and union negotiators were able to agree to keep the existing Steps N Lanes system, so the pay scale remained unchanged. Solid.

Also, the Children's Theatre production is really coming together. The stagecraft has not been too tricky, though with finals, there was a day in there when no one showed up for tech. It's going to be really cute; a bunch of K-5 kids will pack themselves into the theatre, and the traditional end of the show is the Hokey Pokey! There will also be a performance on Tuesday night. Come to think, I should tell my parents about that...

I'm going to go finish this batch of papers and maybe have a night. Keep fighting the good fight.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment